Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Finger-knitting

I've watched my mom and grandmother knit (or maybe it's crochet? I don't even know the difference- is that bad?) plenty of times. Neither of them are experts, but do a little project from time to time. My mom is a nurse midwife and will make hats for newborn babies. My grandmother loves to add some yarn to the top of kitchen towels so they can be hung on oven handles in the kitchen and give them as gifts (I only have about 10 that she's made me. To match my kitchen "theme". For each of the seasons. For Christmas. For the 4th of July. In case I want to throw a Mexican Fiesta.) I've always been interested in learning, but never had the time or strong enough desire to go about teaching myself. Then I came across this finger-knitting how-to on Pinterest. I was definitely intrigued and figured if her young children could figure it out, I could, too!

Just before my school's Spring Break I was in the craft section at WalMart and remembered my pin. I decided to go ahead and buy just one ball of yarn to try it out and see how it went. I decided on pink because, well, it's my favorite color! Besides, I'm at that age that it seems like everyone I know is having or will have a baby at some point in the near future so pink is a good color to use for something for a baby girl, right?

Once I got started, it was easy to get the hang of. I finger-knitted while watching a tv show or just laying in bed. I find it to be very relaxing to finger-knit and let my mind wander. My husband says I'm turnng into an old lady already with my "knitting".

I now have several strands that are each about 7-8 feet long. I'm probably 1/3 of the way through my yarn ball and plan on continuing. Now I just need to decide what I'm going to use it for.

No comments:

Post a Comment